A/Prof Chandra Bala
Refractive, Cataract & Corneal Ophthalmology & Surgery
BSc(Med)(Hons I), MBBS(Hons I), PhD, FRANZCO
Languages: English, Hindi
Meet A/Prof Chandra Bala
Associate Professor Chandra Bala is the Managing Director at personalEYES and subspecialises in Cataract, Cornea, Glaucoma and Refractive surgery. He is a clinical associate professor at the Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University, an examiner in the RANZCO Ophthalmology specialist training program and a clinical supervisor of medical, optometry and vision science students.
He graduated from the University of Sydney with class 1 Honours and completed an additional eight years of research where he was awarded a Bachelor of Science (Med) with class 1 Honours. He then went on to complete ophthalmic training at the Sydney Eye Hospital and Westmead Hospital and has a PhD in ophthalmology.
Associate Professor Bala has completed multiple fellowships under leading surgeons in Australia and throughout Europe, including a glaucoma fellowship with Associate Professor Paul Healy (Westmead Hospital, NSW), a cornea fellowship with Dr Gerrit Melles (Holland) and a refractive fellowship with Dr Ioannis Aslanides (Greece).
His work has been published in both national and international peer reviewed journals and he has won numerous awards at international conferences including Best Paper at ASCRS Boston 2014, Best Video at ASCRS San Diego 2019 and APACRS Kyoto 2019 and winner of the Michael Bluementhal Award at ESCRS Paris 2019.
- Novel Topical therapy for corneal blood staining
Chan, T., White, A., Meades, K. and Bala, C., Y. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. Clinical Experimental Ophthalmology, 2017. 45(4): p. 416-418
- Intereye comparison of femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery capsulotomy & manual capsulorhexis edge strength
Chan, T., U. Pattamatta, M., Butlin, K. Meades, and Bala,C. J Cataract Refract Surg, 2017. 43(4): p. 480-485
- Transection and explantation of intraocular lenses using femtosecond lasers
Bala, C., Pattamatta, U., Chan, T., J. Shi, and K. Meades, J Cataract Refract Surg 2017. 43: 420-423
- Intracameral antibiotic: the Vancomycin conundrum
C. Bala, Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2016. 44: 753-754
- Intraocular lens fragmentation using femtosecond laser; an in-vitro study
Bala, C., J. Shi, and K. Meades, Translational Vision Science & Technology, 2015. 4(3): p. 1-8
- Electron microscopy of laser capsulotomy edge: Interplatform comparison
Bala, C., Y. Xia, and K. Meades, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2014. 40(8): p. 1382-9.
- Improvement in vision with inverted placement of an asymmetric refractive multifocal intraocular lens
Bala, C. and K. Meades, J of Cataract Refractive Surg, 2014. 40(5): p. 833-5.
Published on Journal Covers
Intereye Comparison of Femtosecond Laser-assisted Cataract Surgery Capsulotomy and Manual Capsulorhexis Edge Strength
Dr.Bala interviewed – What you need to know about sight loss
- SBS – World News
The possibilities are endless – Professor Chandra Bala explores pioneering treatments (video and article)
- SBS – World News Radio
Professor Chandra Bala eyes off new ways to save sight (audio and article)
- Channel 7– Today Tonight
Eye Tattoo Risks
- Channel 7 NEWS – Sydney
Macular Degeneration Treatment (video)
- Eye World – Capsular strength femtosecond vs manual cataract surgery
Femtosecond vs Manual Cataract Surgery (video)
- Eye World – Femtosecond technology cutting Intraocular iols
Femtosecond Laser Technology – Cutting Intraocular IOLs (video)
3 awards from ASCRS (American) ESCRS (Europe) and APACRS (Asia)
- Michael Blumenthal Award (37th Congress ESCRS)
ASCRS Film Festival Best of the Best Award – the DMEK Kite
- APACRS Refractive and Cornea Film Festival – the DMEK Kite