George Calombaris Has Been Hospitalised After Sustaining An Eye Injury
personalEYES | 9 Sep 2019
Celebrity chef George Calombaris was hospitalised over the weekend after sustaining an eye injury.
The 40-year-old Masterchef host took to Instagram to share a snap of himself sporting a patch over his right eye, sharing that he was rushed to the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear hospital on Saturday.
“A massive thank you to the amazing eye and ear hospital. The team are legends,” he wrote.
Revealing that the accident happened on a squash court and not in the kitchen he added, “A huge lesson for me today: wear protective glasses when playing squash.”
The incident follows Calombaris’ recent announcement that he’ll be closing his flagship restaurant, The Press Club on Melbourne’s Flinders Street after 12 years.
Speaking to the Herald Sun about the restaurant’s forthcoming closure, he told the outlet, “If I said I wasn’t emotional or that I’m not sad about it, I would be lying.”
He added, “But you know what, it’s OK. Sometimes good things have to come to an end.”
Becoming more health conscious in recent years, it was revealed last year that Calombaris dropped a massive 20 kilograms.
Speaking to OK! Magazine last May, the TV chef said that the main reason he decided to get in shape was so he could be there for his family.
“I keep active because I’ve got two beautiful kids and a beautiful partner who I want to be around for.”