Dr Freny Kalapesi
Oculoplastic & Ophthalmic Surgery, Cataract & General Ophthalmology
BSc(Med)MBBS PhD, FRANZCO, ANZOPRS, AAFPS
Dr Kalapesi undertook resident work at Westmead and Prince of Wales Hospitals in Sydney. She achieved a Doctor of Philosophy, PhD (2002-2007), at UNSW in basic laboratory ophthalmic research. Freny trained as an Ophthalmology Registrar (2005-2010) based mainly at Prince Of Wales Hospital, Randwick with some rotational work in and around Sydney.
She then undertook two years of further fellowship experience in the United Kingdom. Her first fellowship was at the Royal United Hospital, Bath in General Ophthalmology with experience in Cataract, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, strabismus, paediatrics but with a special interest and weekly surgical lists in Oculoplastics.
After this Dr Kalapesi took on her second fellowship at the Bristol Eye Hospital, as the Oculoplastics and Orbital fellow. During this year, she gained vast surgical experience in lid, lacrimal and orbital conditions with five theatre sessions per week. She was an investigator for the CIRTED Trial investigating the role of immunosuppression and radiotherapy in thyroid eye disease. She also hosted weekly multidisciplinary orbital meetings.
She has published 14 articles on various topics in ophthalmology. Dr Kalapesi is a Staff Specialist Ophthalmologist at Westmead public Hospital and practices in our Sydney CBD, Epping and Burwood rooms.
- Cataract surgery (Including choice of lifestyle intraocular lens)
- Anophthalmos and socket management
- Blow-Out Fractures
- Botulinum toxin A (Botox) Services
- Medicare PBS blepharospasm and Hemifacial spasm
- Wrinkle treatment/Chemical brow lifts
- Brow Lifts
- Eyelid Lesion Removal
- General ophthalmology- Glaucoma management, diabetic retinal management, CASA reviews, treatment for macular degeneration and vein occlusions
- Lacrimal Procedures including DCR surg
- Orbital Tumour and inflammatory disease management
- Skin Cancers
- Thyroid Eye Disease